Thursday, September 14, 2006

FAU Greek Life and Intramurals

I woke up this morning and I felt like I was hungover – my head hurt, I couldn’t walk straight and my arm hung down by my side as if it I had no feeling in it. I didn’t have an ounce of alcohol Wednesday. Instead, I played an hour of flag football. I haven’t played football in nearly a year.

I wasn’t the only one playing though. The FAU Greek teams competed on Wednesday night – a regular weekly happening until mid October. It’s one of the most looked-forward to events for the Greek community. Bragging can begin, organizations show off the talent of their potential new members and its exercise of those that don’t have time to go to the gym and workout.

There were about 50 fans watching the SigEP ATO game. There is usually a big crowd for SigEp. Why? I don’t know – probably because they have the most guys on campus, therefore can spread the word faster and invite more friends. Our team, AEPi, had 7 fans for 10 guys. Good ratio I think.

Although my team lost, we shook the other team’s hands and walked off the field knowing that we had fun – which is why we are out there. Our competition in the other hand walked off the field quietly and then got louder as they got closer to the parking lot. One student continued to talk trash to other teams and to our team. We ignored him and walked right past him.

Campus Recreation also sponsors a men’s flag football league on Sunday and Monday evenings and a women’s league on Wednesday evenings. Campus Recreation receives their funding from Student Government annually and is responsible for intramural sports, the fitness center, the tennis and basketball courts, fitness classes, adventure pursuits and other programming that encourages a healthy lifestyle.

1 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Rick "$mitty" Smith said...

UDee:
Remember, although the administration is helping with the trip, they were hesitant to fund it at first. However, now they are almost funding the entire thing.

In addition, intramural sports have nothing to do with the administration. Campus Recreation, the department that runs intramural sports, is fully funded by the Student Government. C-Rec gets approx. $300,000 a year in funds from SGA. SGA receives their annual budget from student tuition fees - $10 per every credit hour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home