Saturday, September 02, 2006

FAU football game party on Saturday, Sept. 2

FAU’s football team played a tough game on Saturday, losing to Clemson 54-6. Clemson, who came into the game as 30-point favorites and ranked 18 nationally, couldn’t be stopped on either side of the ball.


What’s more important than whether the Owls won or lost though was the atmosphere in the cafeteria. As a Resident assistant, I am required to plan events throughout each semester. I decided to host a game-viewing program for this game. Over 200 students showed up and enjoyed FAU football on four plasma screens.


The reason the venue changed from Wackadoo’s to the Centre Marketplace is because Wackadoo’s can not receive the channel the game was televised on. The downside was that students who are 21 could not drink alcohol. The upside, however, is that there were more televisions, better seating arrangements, and it was an all-you-can-eat buffet.


Students are finally starting to grasp onto the idea of there being a football team on this campus. Over the past four years, it was like pulling teeth getting students to attend a football game. I believe that because we are more nationally-recognized now and the teams we are playing are more well-known, our attendance will go up.


My question to you: What makes you want to go to the football games? It is because you love the sport? Are your friends on the team? Are you there just for the tailgating? Post your replies so I can share them with the Athletic Department and cater to your interests.

2 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger ttallman said...

I've never been to an FAU game (lame, I know), but I do think that I speak for many college students when I say that tailgating is most important on game day. Also, because this is a commuter school, I think it is hard to get students together for a game. I didn't even know that there were other places to watch the game. I think that if more students know that there are options on game day they would probably be more willing to get involved.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Rick "$mitty" Smith said...

Tracy - you are right. The advertising could be better. I hope to see you at a game cheering our beloved team to a victory this season!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home